The box below contains the genealogy as published in the Stewart Clan Magazine. The brief paragraph on Moses Stewart that was published in 1937 as part of the item on Andrew Stewart has already been mentioned.
A few years after that article, in 1942 the Stewart Clan Magazine published a more detailed article as part of an issue devoted to “Stewarts in Old Westmoreland County, Pa.”:1
Note that the article does not explicitly name the children of Moses Stewart, nor does it identify how any of the named persons might be related. [I have broken the text into paragraphs to improve readability.]
Moses Stewart of Peters Township, Cumberland County
Moses Stewart (Andrew2) married (1) a daughter of Patrick Hanna of Monaghan township, York county, Pa., [ref: prior issues] He married (2) Apr. 26, 1760 in Christ Lutheran church of York, York county, Isabella Lowers, widow of Andrew Lowers. He was on the tax-list of Hopewell township, Cumberland county in 1751, and with his mother, he acted as executor of his father’s will in 1754. (As we have seen on page 179, his brother Hugh died in Kent county, Del., in 1770.) Moses removed to Peters township, locating in what later became Montgomery township, Franklin county, near Two-Top mountain.
To protect his wife’s interest in her former husband’s claim he entered a caveat Apr. 23, 1767, in the Pennsylvania land office against the acceptance of a survey for Andrew Wilson on 100 acres of land in Peters township, Cumberland county, alleging that the improvement right of the said land was vested in Andrew Lower’s heirs. Moses subsequently, Oct. 19, 1767, took out a warrant for 50 acres of this land in trust, and was on the 1768 tax- list of Peters township for 50 acre, while a James Stewart had 50 acres. (A patent, issued Mar. 13, 1825, to the administratrix of the estate of Peter Behrer for 132 acres in Montgomery township, close to Two-Top mountain, included land warranted Oct. 19, 1767 to Moses Stewart in trust and other land warranted Feb. 25, 1788, to Thomas Sellers. — Land office, H18: 587.)
Moses Stuart made an application Apr. 3, 1769, for 321 acres called “Walnut Ridge” in the forks of Conemaugh and Blacklick creek in Westmoreland [now Indiana] county, adjoining lands of Richard Shannon, William Brown, Andrew Lowers and Thomas Wilkins, and a patent was issued to him May 12, 1788 [P13: 156]. The will of Andrew Lowers of Montgomery township, Cumberland county, dated Aug. 8, 1781, and proved Mar. 8, 1788, mentioned his mother Isabel Stewart and referred to a plantation which he owned in Derry township, Westmoreland county. A nephew of this Andrew Lower, of the same name and of Derry township, deeded Dec. 11, 1801 to Andrew Stuart of the same township for $200 156 acres “joining Blacklick creek, surveyed upon a location for Andrew Lowers, deceased, uncle to said Andrew Lowers.” Moses name did not appear in the census of 1790 for Pennsylvania, and if living at that time he was making his home with one of his children or had left the state.
Andrew5 Stewart obtained a warrant on Mar. 11, 1786. Andrew Stuard of Derry township, Westmoreland county, bought Dec. 11, 1786, of William McKelvey of Mount Pleasant township for £75 100 acres in Ligonier valley, bounded south by James McCurdy, east by the widow Brown and Charles Griffith and west by James Porter and Joseph Porter. James Wallace of Harrison county, Ky., gave power-of- attorney May 9, 1796, to his trusty friend Andrew Stewart of Westmoreland county, Pa., to recover from Thomas Wilkins a certain tract of land in the forks of Blacklick and Conemaugh which Wilkins was in possession of but which belonged to the estate of Richard Wallace. We seem to find no Andrew Stewart as head of a family in Westmoreland county in 1790: perhaps he lived with a brother or sister. Andrew Stuart of Derry township bought Dec. 11, 1801, of Andrew Lowers 156 acres on Blacklick creek, in Indiana county but before that year in Westmoreland county.
James5 Stewart obtained a warrant Oct. 13, 1786, for 90% acres in Derry township, Westmoreland county, and he and his wife Mary of Armstrong township, Indiana county, sold this land Nov. 13, 1811, to William Wilson of Derry township. James and Richard Stuart of Armstrong township bought Nov. 1, 1803, of James Gammel 135½ acres on Aultman’s run in Armstrong township. The 1790 census for Derry township showed three Stewart households — James 1-2-3, William 2-2-4, and William 1-3-3.
Moses6 Stewart, born in Indiana county, Pa., in 1792, enlisted at Old Town (Xenia), Ohio, Aug. 12, 1812, in Capt. Jacob Shindledecker’s company of Ohio militia and fought as a rifleman under Gen. William Henry Harrison at Fort Meigs on the Maumee river. After his discharge he met and later married Feb. 12, 1818, Theresa Canham at her father’s farm in Indiana county, Pa. They moved from Indiana county to Cincinnati, O., in the spring and stayed until fall, when they moved to a farm 10 miles east of Dayton. They lived there five years and then moved to a farm 15 miles north of Dayton, where they resided seven years, and then moved to Lawrence county, Ill. Moses applied Sep. 10, 1873, for a pension as a soldier of the war of 1812, aged 81 years, a resident of Bond township, Lawrence county. He died Nov. 29, 1874, in Lawrence county. His widow Theresa applied for a pension Jan. 2, 1875, aged 74, resident of Bond township. She died Oct. 9, 1886.
Andrew6 Stewart was a soldier in Capt. Jacob Shindledecker’s company of Ohio militia
in the war of 1812. He married in Montgomery county, Ind., Oct. 25, 1817, Lavina Canham. (Lavina Stewart testified on Mar. 15, 1879, in Montgomery county, Ohio, that she knew that Moses Stewart and Teracy Canham were married Feb. 12, 1815, as she herself was married on the same day at the same place by the same justice of the peace to Andrew Stewart, yet she had declared on Feb. 24, 1879, that she married Andrew on Oct. 25, 1817.) Andrew died at Little Beaver, Greene county, O., in November [year omitted but before 1879].
The article continues with a paragraph devoted to Alexander Archibald Stewart, apparently unrelated to the others, based on research conducted by a great-granddaughter.
Gravestone in Old Salem Cemetery
Moses Stuart was presumably the same man whose gravestone exists in the Old Salem Presbyterian Cemetery in Derry township, Westmoreland County. According to a 1920 article (subsequently confirmed by a modern photograph) the stone reads: “Moses Stuart, Born 1722, Died July 28, 1790.” 2 Neither the article nor local records mention the graves of any other Stuarts or Stewarts contemporary to Moses Stuart.
No administration records appear in Westmoreland County probate books.3
- Stewart Clan Magazine, Vol. XIX, No. 9 (March 1942), pages 252-253. [↩]
- “Tombstone Inscriptions, Old Salem Cemetery, Derry Township, Westmoreland Co., Pa.” by Elizabeth Machesney, National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. IX, No. 2 (July 1920), page 32. [↩]
- Westmoreland County WIll Book 1 lists letters of administration 1774-1839, but none was recorded for the estate of Moses Stuart. [↩]